William Chyr Studio
Based in Chicago, IL
Press / Business Contact:
PC / PS4
Manifold Garden is a game that reimagines physics and space.
Explore a beautiful Escheresque world where the laws of physics are different. Geometry repeats infinitely in every direction, and falling down leads you back to where you started. Manipulate gravity to change your perspective and see the world in new ways. Master the rules of the universe and restore a barren world with vegetation and life.
- An expansive and visually striking world filled with mind-bending puzzles.
- Manipulate gravity to gain new perspectives and walk on any visible surface.
- Experience space in new ways as you explore infinitely repeating Escheresque architecture
Created by William Chyr Studio.
In November 2012, William Chyr began working on Manifold Garden, initially the project was called Relativity, and it was to be a small project to learn the basics of game development and the Unity3D engine. Drawing inspiration from various physics thought experiments, he created a rough prototype over Thanksgiving weekend. After showing an early version of the game to some playtesters and receiving encouraging feedback, he decided to pursue the idea further and continue development.
In 2013, Chyr was awarded a six-month artist residency at the Swatch Art Peace Hotel in Shanghai, China. This gave him the opportunity to focus on development of the game full-time and take it to a level that demonstrates many of the core ideas of the project.
In October 2013, Chyr returned to Chicago, where he has continued to work on Manifold Garden since.
In early 2015, Manifold Garden was backed by Indie Fund. Over the course of its development, the game has been shown in over 20 game conventions and festivals, including E3, Tokyo Game Show, Gamercamp, XOXO Fest, and IndieCade East
download files as .zip (3 MB)
download file as .zip (4 KB)
- "Big Sushi Best of PAX East” PAX East, 2014
- "Famitsu Indie Prize Nominee” Tokyo Game Show, 2014
- "Dengeki Online Indie Prize Nominee” Tokyo Game Show, 2014
- "Gamercamp Official Selection” Toronto, 2014
- "Bit Bash Festival Official Selection” Chicago, 2014
- "The MIX Showcase at SIGGRAPH Official Selection” Vancouver, 2014
- "PlayStation Lifestyle Best of E3 Winner", Los Angeles, 2015
- "Indy Pop Con Reboot Award Finalist”, Indianapolis, 2015
- "IGN Best of E3 Nominee”, Los Angeles, 2016
- "Kill Screen Festival Official Select”, New York, 2016
- "XOXO Fest Official Select”, Portland, 2016
- "Indy Pop Con Reboot Award Finalist”, Indianapolis, 2016
- "PlayStation Nation Best of E3 Nominee”, Los Angeles, 2016
- "IndieCade @ E3 Official Select”, Los Angeles, 2019
"You begin with gravity shifting, but before long you’re out and about in an Escher wet dream that infinitely wraps around itself."
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
"I really enjoyed playing the game, and loved the way it challenged me to think about gravity’s effects in ways that I’ve never really thought about them before."
- Jaz Rignall, US Gamer
"The world emulates the black and white minimalism of Escher's work, and the crisp modern design populating the walls, windows, and massive towers seen in the distance inspire a desire to explore."
- Beckett Mufson, The Creators Project
"A mysterious and mind-boggling game to say the least, I'm excited to see more."
- Mark Cavazos, Hardcore Gamer
"The demo I played featured the moments of frustration followed by sudden and intense satisfaction that games like Portal have, while delivering a unique mechanic that adds freshness to the formula."
- Brian Shea, Game Informer
"It really does appear as a space where Chyr has cultivated, not flowers or plants, but engulfing structures that stretch out in every direction, eternally."
- Chris Priestman, Kill Screen
"I've never seen my boss, Dieter Bohn, look happier than he did after playing Manifold Garden — and I attended his wedding earlier this year."
- Casey Newton, The Verge
About William Chyr
William Chyr is an independent game developer and visual artist based in Chicago. His work spans a variety of media, including web, print, and installation. Learn more about William here.