Based in Chicago, IL
PS4 / PC / Mac / Linux
Manifold Garden is an exploration-puzzle game that imagines a universe with a different set of physical laws. Set in an Escher-esque world filled with secrets and mysteries, you utilize a unique gravity-manipulation mechanic to turn walls into floors. Learn to see the world through whole new perspectives as you navigate mindboggling architecture and solve seemingly impossible puzzles.
In November 2012, William Chyr began working on Manifold Garden, initially the project was called Relativity, and it was to be a small project to learn the basics of game development and the Unity3D engine. Drawing inspiration from various physics thought experiments, he created a rough prototype over Thanksgiving weekend. After showing an early version of the game to some playtesters and receiving encouraging feedback, he decided to pursue the idea further and continue development.
In 2013, Chyr was awarded a six-month artist residency at the Swatch Art Peace Hotel in Shanghai, China. This gave him the opportunity to focus on development of the game full-time and take it to a level that demonstrates many of the core ideas of the project.
In October 2013, Chyr returned to Chicago, where he has continued to work on Manifold Garden since.
In early 2015, Manifold Garden was backed by Indie Fund.
- A unique gravity-manipulation mechanic that allows players to walk on any visible surface.
- An expansive and beautiful world filled with secrets for players to explore.
- Mindbuggling Escher-esque architecture.
- Original soundtrack
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Big Sushi Best of PAX East" PAX East, 2014
- "Famitsu Indie Prize Nominee" Tokyo Game Show, 2014
- "Dengeki Onlin Indie Prize Nominee" Tokyo Game Show, 2014
- "Gamercamp Offical Selection" Toronto, 2014
- "Bit Bash Festival Offical Selection" Chicago, 2014
- "The MIX Showcase at SIGGRAPH Official Selection" Vancouver, 2014
- "You begin with gravity shifting, but before long you’re out and about in an Escher wet dream that infinitely wraps around itself."
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- "I really enjoyed playing the game, and loved the way it challenged me to think about gravity’s effects in ways that I’ve never really thought about them before."
- Jaz Rignall, US Gamer
- "The world emulates the black and white minimalism of Escher's work, and the crisp modern design populating the walls, windows, and massive towers seen in the distance inspire a desire to explore. "
- Beckett Mufson, The Creators Project
- "A mysterious and mind-boggling game to say the least, I’m excited to see more."
- Mark Cavazos, Hardcore Gamer
- "The demo I played featured the moments of frustration followed by sudden and intense satisfaction that games like Portal have, while delivering a unique mechanic that adds freshness to the formula"
- Brian Shea, Game Informer
- "It really does appear as a space where Chyr has cultivated, not flowers or plants, but engulfing structures that stretch out in every direction, eternally."
- Chris Priestman, Kill Screen
Request Press Copy
To request a press copy, please send us a quick email. We will get bacck to you as soon as a press copy is available.
William Chyr allows for the contents of Manifold Garden to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Manifold Garden is legally & explicitly allowed by William Chyr.
TIGForum journal charting the development of Willy Chyr's Relativity: forums.tigsource.com.
Stay up-to-date with development on Twitter: twitter.com.
Stay up-to-date with Manifold Garden on facebook: facebook.com.
About William Chyr
William Chyr is an independent game developer and visual artist based in Chicago. His work spans a variety of media, including web, print, and installation.
More information on William Chyr, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Manifold Garden Credits
Design & Development